Sunday, November 25, 2012

A first

I rode with a group for the first time this morning in Central Park. Well, it wasn't actually a group, it was two women, one of whom I briefly met last month when I was tagging behind her and her husband on an unusually beautiful fall day. I managed to keep up with them, and the woman, S, gave me her card and asked if I would be interested in their weekday rides - at 5:30 in the morning. I think I visibly blanched, then I explained that I live in TriBeca, and that it takes me close to 45 minutes just to get to the park. But today I met up with her, her husband and a woman named C. who is a trainer and does triathlons.

It's strange riding with other people. I always looked at exercise as solitary experiences, which is what I naturally prefer. But it was really nice being with people who are just as crazy about bikes as I am, and maybe more so. They all have backgrounds in competing and being trainers, and I feel more like a newbie than ever. But I kept up, riding alongside them over three and a half loops of the park, and back on the West Side bike path to fight relentless headwinds. A three hour ride.

I've never been a joiner, rarely ventured outside my own, solitary comfort zone. But I feel like this is going to make me a better rider, and possibly, a more well-rounded, happy person.

No comments:

Post a Comment